Thursday, December 17, 2009

Winter Magic


Since moving east some 17 years ago (having longed for ages to live where the cycle of the year was more apparent than it was in our California beach town) the change of seasons never fails to signal a change in my outlook. Spring is all about possibility and new beginnings. Summer is about abundance and productivity. Autumn is a time for harvest and reflection, home and hearth. And winter....well, winter is pure *magic*. :)

Since childhood, when my grandfather would sneak outside and ring sleighbells, and my parents would tell us tales of the elves at the North Pole making candy (this happened whenever there was a pink sunset)...when I would sit for hours reading the original Brother's Grimm and Andersen's Fairy Tales (a gift from my great aunt Marguerite) or see "the Nutcracker", I've always thought of this time of year as more magical than the other seasons.

The only detention I ever received was in high school, when the first snow of the year began falling heavily as I sat in Algebra. Now really, how are you supposed to sit in a classroom when there are angels to be made in a field of newly fallen snow? (Which is exactly what I did, along with a partner in crime who is still one of my dearest friends)...Magic like that cannot be ignored.

When my own child came along, I wanted her to experience the magic too, so the season became one of story telling, cookie baking, paint and glitter, and of course, The Nutcracker - which she not only loved as much as I did, but eventually grew to dance. She tells me now that this is her favorite season, and I feel as if in some small way, I've succeeded. And one day, I know she'll pass that magic on to her own children.

But for now, with no children in the house, I find the magic making it's way into my work...

An auburn haired angel with crystal halo....

A snowy owl, bestowing Blessings of the Season....


And a whimsical cat, soaring high above the clouds, pouring warmth and goodness from his magical teapot....

As of this writing, the angel is still up for auction, and the owl and tea chest have a "buy it now" option, so as to allow earliest possible shipping. :)

The magic continues tomorrow with painting of course, and hopefully a bit of cookie and bread baking. Our celebration is a bit more low-key this year, with John home recovering from heart surgery, and me hobbling around the house on an injured ankle (I've so far refused steroids, but am now re-thinking, haha).

Do you have a particular magical winter memory, or tradition? Please do share....

In the meantime, I'll say goodnight, and sweet dreams. And thank you from the bottom of my heart for dropping by, for taking the time to look at my work, and for your lovely comments. :)

Wishing you a season of peace, magic and joy,

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• ~ Carolee

6 comments:

Janine said...

I love the yule- tide trasure box. The womans hair is lovely.

Heidi said...

My favorite Christmas tradition is having Santa show up at our house on Christmas Eve! It was really my great Uncle Harold. He was so kind to give up time with his own family to come to our house and make Christmas Eve special. Wonderful new creatons you made. I love the angel the most! But the owl is so nice too.

Unknown said...

Carolee....I was so enchanted with this post. I am going to pull out my grimm book...and start creating from all the folklore I love and is missing in the world now...

have a great weekend..Blessings

xoxox

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Snowy owl is GORGEOUS Carolee!

Happy Holidays!

Chris :-)

William Bezek said...

Have a lovely Holiday and make a lot of snow angels!

Bonnie Jones said...

Carolee, you just brought back many memories...Grimm's Fairy Tales was my favorite book...I must have worn it out reading it and looking at the pictures.
Have a wonderful Holiday and a very Healthy New Year. Wishing healing thoughts for you and John in the coming New Year.
Bonnie