Saturday, March 5, 2011

Moon Gazing Hares and a Tiny Surprise!

"A Young Hare" by Albrecht Durer (1471-1528)

There times when researching a piece can be almost as fun as the painting process, when one story or tale leads you to another and another and another, until you fall down the proverbial Rabbit Hole - pun intended in this case, as the research this week has been about moon gazing hares, their presence in both eastern and western myth and legend, connection to the Goddess Eostre, and evolution into what we know today as the Easter Bunny. ;)

It's that time of year, when inspiration is found in all things Celtic and magical, and all things symbolizing rebirth and fertility...Then of course, there's the whole "Mad as a March Hare" thing...It's all just too rich and vivid not to paint! Soooooo, long story short, if you're tiring of seeing Hares and Rabbits here, I'll ask you to indulge me just a weeeeeee bit longer - and I promise I'll throw a bit of Halloween into the mix as well. :)

Speaking of which, there's a little black cat piece I call "Surprise!" up for grabs on eBay at the moment...

If you click here and check out the listing, you'll see the little surprise inside the drawer. ;)

That's about it for today, and I have much painting to do, so I'll close here. I promise to share the finished moon gazing hare piece both here and on facebook before listing it.

In the meantime, I wish you all a magical and creative rest-of-the-weekend...

Back very soon!

♥ Carolee

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure which I liked more, the surprise, the top or the footprints!!!
Awesome!

Tammie Lee said...

your wabbit is wonderful! plus I love hearing about the celtic ways, thank you.