Sunday, September 4, 2011

On Playing Nice...

In general, I've found the world of blogging and social media to be an incredible blessing. The ability to connect with artists and collectors from all over the world, to re-connect with long lost friends, to share daily joys and milestones in our lives is something unprecedented, and in many ways nothing short of miraculous.

Delight and joy are contagious. The tiniest details and phrases can spark the imagination, lead to thoughtful conversations, and bring strangers closer together. The phrase "global village" comes to mind. We can truly touch each others lives.

I've been thinking about this a lot after reading this piece on CNN about how all this online social interaction is in effect creating a legacy for future generations.

Wow.

Something to think about.

Our great grandchildren will know us long after we're gone - in a way most of us never dreamed possible.

But I wonder how many of us are so caught up in the immediate status update, the immediate blog post, the immediate comment, that we forget the impression we're leaving?

For the most part, the people I've encountered online (as in real life) are interesting, thoughtful, and kind; the sort of people who take joy in lifting up rather than knocking down, in building rather than destroying, in offering a kind word rather than an unkind one. They make me feel hopeful.

Occasionally, I run into the other sort; the kind who - like the "anonymous" blog comment I rejected today - choose to spend the precious, limited time we're all given, saying something hurtful and hateful.

I never know quite how to respond to this, so I don't. I move on, offering a silent prayer that whatever is so deeply troubling them will pass, and they'll eventually learn the lesson most of our parents taught us very early on:

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Until next time, wishing everyone love, light and joy.

♥ Carolee

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolee, I am sorry that person (and coward I might say for only being able to criticize anonymously) had negative things to say, you seem like a very upbeat, positive and creative person. I hope you know what a talented artist you are! Don't let them get ya down, i'm sure they are just jealous anyways!

Carolee said...

Oh, it doesn't get me down at all - I just feel bad for someone carrying around all that negativity. They must be in a terrible place. And it should be noted that in all the years I've been blogging, and the thousands of comments, this is only the second mean-spirited one I've received. Not even the tiniest drop in the bucket. ♥

PoesyGirl said...

Very well said!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend, full of cat hair!
hugs

Ms. said...

Hello dear--this is Michelle who is looking forward to "Midnight Martini" when I get to Massachusetts next Friday. I just want to say, there are so many dark genes in the human pool at this point, we must only weed them out, and sometimes it helps to forgive them their 'ignorance' quickly so the taste doesn't linger long--for it is ignorance--not stupidity-- that makes a person lash out, either in the moment or as a habit. They are living in their reptilian instinct, and suffering. Hope that they have the chance to change paths, educate and refine their nature, become whole beings. Perhaps they've come to you attracted by your dearness--then didn't know how to be--and, perhaps, this is only the beginning of their journey, for which you were a stepping stone and stumbling block.

Unknown said...

Sending you smiles and happiness in this spinning world. :-)

~ Deb

Jimio said...

I too like to blog about my life. The things I did when I was 5 years old up to today at age 56. Blogging is great for a written journal of your life and those around you and any hobbie or experience you want to share to the world, and hopefully it stays on the internet forever.

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

Sorry you've had to deal with unkind comments. In Sweden, there's a big discussion right now about commenting on the biggest newspapers' websites. One of them has decided that people have to show their real names in order to comment, log in via Facebook or something similar (although it should be super easy to make a fake facebook account, right?). Others are thinking about moderating comments before they get posted. However, people are protesting since it's not democratic and it may be dangerous or at least limiting for people to have to write their real names. At the same time, it's not legal to write racist comments etc but there may be gray areas so it's a tough discussion. One of the biggest newspapers wants their readers to write "nice" comments and that's the thing most people react against. Nice - if you're really upset about something or want to defend yourself? Being nice in private blog comments is another thing, I think, when people write about their work or their day. But if it's about politics, for instance, of course people will sound more upset if their view is different.

Cameron said...

I second that! Well said, Carolee!

Emily said...

The worst I've ever gotten was spam. lol Good attitude and keep calm and carry on, as the saying goes. ;)

Joy Hall said...

Enjoying your blog (new discovery). I'm so sorry someone chose to convey hurtful thoughts.

Your work is delightful! I so enjoy seeing another artists work! You are a talented lady.