Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day!


Sounds like some sort of pugilistic celebration, doesn't it? Or a day for discarding all the Christmas boxes and wrapping?

It's neither, but it is an official holiday in Britain and Canada. Boxing Day originated in medieval times as the day when gifts of money and durable goods were given to the servants and poorer classes (who generally had to work on Christmas Day). In Ireland it's also known as St. Stephen's Day, the feast day for the first Christian martyr, or "Wren Day", whose curious and somewhat gruesome customs I won't detail here (figuring we all know how to google). :)

But for most of us here in the U.S. it's known as "back to work" day, *sigh*....

I say this not for myself, but for my husband, who is as I write this braving turnpike traffic on his way to work. I'm actually looking forward to new projects, with so many ideas spinning around in my head I'll be lucky to complete half of them in 2008!

As we approach the New Year, look for a very large apothecary chest/pantry (absolutely bursting with potions, herbs, spices and accoutrements - and of course, a black cat!), a sign or two, and wicked cool double recipe box. There's also a new clock in the works, so stay tuned.....

In the meantime, I've listed a trio of boxes I'm going to have a very difficult time parting with....but part with them I must, and with all the blessings that inspired them. :)

Right now I'm off to grab a cup of tea and do a bit of knitting. Although the work week has resumed, we're milking the Christmas holidays for all we can around here; thoroughly enjoying Courtney's company of course, but also planning a few more dinners and gift exchanges with family and friends. And one of those gifts - a knitted scarf - is nearing completion, so I'd better get to it.

Many thanks to those who sent us Christmas cards and greetings via snail mail and email, and apologies for not reciprocating. This is the first in many, many years I just didn't pull it together in time to send anything. I'm hoping to catch up on correspondence after the first of the year, but with John's heart surgery looming I'm making no promises or resolutions....

Off to face the day now....And wishing everyone a Happy Boxing Day, or Happy Wednesday, whichever it is for you. :)

Blessings,
~ Carolee

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it Wednesday? I am losing track of the days here. Glad you are taking a bit of well deserved (but... apparently you never stop!) down time to share with loved ones!

Beautiful boxes Carolee!!

Lori

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Happy Boxing Day Carolee!

BOOtiful boxes...lovely!

Happy New Years too! :)

Best,
Chris

LYNDY WARD said...

Hi Carolee, Tom & I hope your Christmas was MAGICKAL too!

You're right, inspiration is very important in every part of life. AND I'm sure like you, I try to inspire someone everyday with kind thoughts & encouragement for their endeavors.

Always beautiful artwork & I'm so happy to have many of your masterpieces you show on your lovely blog(s) & website...

Bright Blessings Always, Lyndy

vintagepaletteart said...

I can't wait to see all your future creations for the new year Carolee!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the sweet comment you left about Jadyn. =o)

Hugs!

*Lori