Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Sculpting Bug....

....Has bitten me again!

It's been awhile since I offered any pieces with sculpted accents, so I thought it was time to get my hands into the paperclay again! First up, a whimsical cat and perhaps a moon - after that, who knows? Sometimes these things take a direction all their own, and all I can do is follow. So stay tuned for some wicked and whimsical new pieces. :)

In the meantime, I've been tagged again....I usually opt out of these things as graciously as possible, mostly because I think who really cares to hear random stuff about me anyway? I'm not all that interesting, really! But it's been awhile since I've played, and this tag (from Sonia at A Dark Raven's Next) is for six random things not written before....So not having much else to say today, here goes, hehe:

1. I play the piano. Or rather, I used to play the piano. We have an old upright grand in our living room, but it's been ages since I've touched it - just haven't had the time. And to be honest, I never played all that well anyway. ;)

2. I hate television. I mean, I really, really intensely dislike it. We don't have it here (although we do rent the occasional movie) and when we stay at a hotel and John turns it on for a few minutes, it's seriously like nails on a chalkboard.

3. If it weren't for my very practical husband, I'd probably turn into a crazy cat lady. We have three here in a small house, but left to my own devices, I'd have at least a dozen. I love ALL animals, but have a special affinity for cats.

4. I completely tune out when I'm creating. Completely. Like I'm in an imaginary world or something - the Secret Garden or Alice through the looking glass. Last year when our house filled with smoke (from our next door neighbor's furnace mishap), John smelled it from upstairs, and came down saying "Hello?! Do you SEE this?!" and I looked up completely surprised. I also remember my daughter explaining to one of her little friends (who had apparently asked me a question) "Oh, my Mom can't hear when she paints." Yep - absolutely oblivious....

5. I think the right tea in the right circumstance is magic.

6. As I age, and I see others around me aging, my greatest fear isn't the failure of my body, or the diminishing of my circumstances - it's that I'll become cynical and judgemental. I don't want to become, for lack of a better word, cranky. If anything, I want to become more open minded, more understanding, to embrace life's adventures and to never, ever stop creating. Age should be an awakening, don't you think? :)

I won't tag anyone else in particular, but if you're so inclined, do feel free to tag yourself.

Back to sculpting now!
~ Carolee

11 comments:

Enchanted Productions by Joyce Stahl said...

Oh Carolee! I'm so glad that the sculpting bug got you too!!! I can't wait to see what magical creations emerge!!! How exciting!

Enchanted Blessings!
Joycee

Acornmoon said...

Paperclay, that sounds interesting!

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

On 2-6 you could be me! Can't wait to see your sculptures!

Unknown said...

Carolee

Im glad you liked the six things tag. I thought it was interesting. And actually I agree and I am also like #4,#5,#6...My family says Ive learned to tune out too much. Ha Ha...I would have cats also..but I am allergic now (I had one 19 yrs). I have Henry now..So I enjoy everyone elses cats on the Blogger.

Happy Sculpting...

Smiles,

Sonia ;)

Nancy Malay said...

I'll be anxiously awaiting to see what wonderful creations you come up with, Carolee. Don't you just love paperclay?!

Robin Armstrong Seeber said...

ahh.. can't wait carolee!!! eyes are peeled! robin

La Donna Welter said...

I love this line..." Age should be an awakening"!
La Donna

Zan Asha said...

Hi Carolee. Thank you for posting and joining my blog, I am honored!

I am also 2-6, and I own an Australian shepherd too :)

I'm also starting with the paperclay, usually I use some other form of clay but went for the much light paperclay...so we'll see. So curious to see how your talent transfers onto sculpture!

Thank you again!
~Zan

Carla said...

I certainly come back to see what you have been creating of this paperclay.
Don.t be afraid to become cynical or judgemental, I don.t believe you will. You are a great lady.

Little Dollings by Brenda O. said...

Carolee -- I just love your art, and really enjoyed reading about you! So nice to know someone else zones out too!
Your sculpting is sure to be as magical as your painting!

Brenda

*~tabby~* crooked heart art said...

paperclay is sooooooo much fun to use! and your cat is fantastic
thank you for sharing your beautiful art
enjoy your day]
tabby