Wednesday, November 21, 2012

♥ Giving Thanks ♥

Realizing that Thanksgiving is understandably a day of mourning for Native Americans, it's nevertheless the day we here in the US have set aside to think about gratitude. So, aware as I am of the revisionist history involved in the holiday, I can't deny its appeal.

A day of thanksgiving. Of gratitude.

Which should of course be every day, because we have so much for which to be thankful. And I have to say, this year I question whether the day is about thanks at all, or whether its morphed into something about turkey and "early" Black Friday sales (don't even get me started).

I truly hope not.

I hope we manage to keep the focus on gratitude. To God or Goddess, to the universe, to whomever or whatever you call spirit or guide. And to each other as well, remembering the help we've all had along the way.

A tiny fraction of the mountain of thanks I owe...

 I am thankful for my wonderful husband and best friend, and for our beautiful, bright and kind daughter.

I am thankful for our sweet and loving companion animals, and for those who've come before them. They teach me every day about unconditional love and pure joy in the moment.

I am thankful for my family, and especially for my family of friends. We're bound by respect and love and support, which is what family is all about, or should be. I'm thankful for people who love me despite my failings.

I am thankful for whatever creative ability I've been blessed with, and the opportunity to share it. And I'm thankful that people enjoy my work, and make it possible for me make art for a living.

I am thankful for the comforts of home. For the whistling tea kettle, for rain on the roof, for our small garden and pond, for the birds at the feeder, for the roses, for the music we play, for my favorite chair...It's not much, but its ours, and its so much more than many have.

I am thankful for our health. There have been serious challenges these last few years, but we've weathered them, and are looking forward to better days. That's a lot.

I am thankful to be here. To struggle, to fail, to fight, and sometimes to prevail. I'm thankful for every moment of my incredibly too-short life, and I am thankful for the chance to learn and grow and evolve. I am thankful for an open heart and hopefully open mind, and pray it will always be so.

I am thankful.

Wishing all those who celebrate a happy and blessed day of Thanksgiving.

Much love,
♥ Carolee








1 comment:

Barbara said...

I've been reading a lot of different articles lately about the importance of saying THANK YOU for all things big and small in our lives (especially things we take for granted), and of course telling people how grateful we are for what they've added to our lives. And now I've just discovered your blog and this wonderful post which reinforces the idea. I've just started the practice of saying "thank you" each evening as I lie in bed before falling asleep, for all of the things I'm grateful for each day. You'd be amazed at how many things you can think of, no matter how badly your day may have turned out! One of the things I'm grateful for today is finding your blog and your amazing art! What a wonderful gift you are sharing!