Sunday, November 14, 2010

An *Enchanting* Home, Studio and Show!

(a.k.a. "The Post that Never Ends", hehe)...

This weekend found me taking off with my friend Hugh for Martinsburg, West Virginia, where artist Paul Gordon was hosting the third annual "Friends in Christmas" show. Not wanting to begin the journey in the wee hours of the morning, we decided to stay over, which put us in Martinsburg Friday evening, allowing attendance at a little pre-show gathering in Paul's beautiful home...

Paul is not only an extraordinarily talented artist, but an avid collector as well, and his home is a feast for the eyes...

I don't know how to describe his style, except to say it's his own - sort of bohemian-vintage meets Victorian-whimsy, and I ♥ it...

Have you ever seen so much collectible eye candy in one cabinet?

It was such a magical place, made even more so by a little music, more than a little wine, and some very interesting guests.

Oh, and almost forgot - there's even a vintage toy room upstairs!

How amazing is that?

And here's our host...

Thank you so much, Paul, for including us in such a wonderful evening, and thanks Hugh, for taking these pics (I'd forgotten my camera).

Saturday morning the doors to the studio opened, and we were treated to another enchanting setting, and even more *magical* work!...

Here are some of Paul's sculpts, shadowboxes and paintings...

We also took a tour of the working part of the studio, which is home to stacks upon stacks of vintage fabrics and quilts, as well as a vintage Santa Claus costume...

And all this ribbon!! (I think I managed not to drool, although I'm not sure, hehe)...

And I LOVE the old shoes and skates hanging from the rafters...

I came home with a few goodies, including two pieces by Laurie Messerol. For the moment, Santa is keeping the teapots company...


And how adorable is this print?


And this darling pincushion by Stacey Bear(the little door opens to reveal a thimble - such fun, and I couldn't resist!)

See, I told you this was the post that never ends! But I get so excited about these things, I just have to share them with you...

Anywhoooooo....for NOW, it's back to work! I have an enchanting bunny commission in progress and a fun new sewing chest to begin - something magical for all those holiday projects, tentatively titled "Sew Many Blessings". ;)

And next weekend, there's another show to check out in Virginia (thinking of doing one crafty type show next year to sell a few personalized welcome signs). My friend Pam does this one, and will be there with some primitive holiday enchantment. And if you are in the Ohio area, be sure to check out the Merry Makers show in Springfield, Ohio! So many shows, so little time (and money, haha).

I'll close here, wishing you all a *magical* and *sparkly* kick off to the holiday season, and leaving you with this tune - one of my favorites (but first you have to scroll down on the right and mute the purple playlist already playing)...


Until next time,
♥ Carolee

3 comments:

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Gorgeous pictures and blog post Carolee! Thanks for sharing!

Chris :-)

*Linda Pinda* said...

WOW!!!
That's my kind of weekend... What a treat. And I just love Laurie's work! Thanks for sharing.

CCs Whimsies said...

I think Paul Gordon is one of the most magical Folk Artist of our time! Thank you!