Sunday, August 17, 2008

Work in Progress

*Yet another update* - This very labor intensive piece is finally finished! But daylight ran out before I could get it photographed. So look for it on eBay tomorrow evening (Tuesday) at 9 - I promise it will be worth the wait....

Since there's a decided lack of Halloween eye candy on my eBay page at the moment, I thought it would be fun to give a little preview of coming attractions. :)



I fell in love with this piece the moment I saw it because it's so versatile; a jewelry chest, a sewing box, an apothecary chest, a memory box, a stationary box, a treasure chest..the possibilities are endless. I'm leaning toward painting it as a Witch's Apothecary Chest, for storing "spells and potions" and such, and leaving the practical application up to it's new owner, but we'll see....Sometimes these things take on a direction all their own! My favorite thing about this piece is all the vintage hardware I get to play with; the "lock" and skeleton key, the hinges and handles, the drawer pulls....fun!

The interior of the drawer and the compartment under the lid will be decoupaged today with stationary paper, torn and antiqued to give it a mystical, old-world sort of feel. (Update - done!)


The two shorter, black panels you see resting on top of the chest will be afixed with hinges so they can be lifted to find a surprise underneath. And the longer wood piece will be hand lettered and mounted on the front, over the drawer. :)

If all goes well, I hope to list this one Sunday evening (Update - OK, MONDAY evening, haha) so stay tuned....

Other works in progress include a Halloween tea tray featuring a flying tuxedo cat, and possibly a set of canisters (not yet begun, but waiting in the wings). Then there's all the work for the big show - eek!! Never enough time, and I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating; no rest for the wicked, hehe....

I should add for anyone needing to reach me this Wednesday or Thursday, I'll be out of town, but will return Thursday evening.

Right now I'm going to brew a pot of tea (picked up some of the BEST TEA EVER - seriously, this stuff is like liquid lemon chiffon pie!) at Teavana this past week, after delivering a commission order. Couldn't have asked for a better day - not only did I get my Teavana fix, but better still, I got to meet one of my collectors - the absolute BEST part about this "job" I have! It's such a blessing to meet people who enjoy my work in person, and send my little creations off to their new homes. :)

Off to face the day now, and I'll try to post photos of the finished chest tomorrow....

Until then,
~ Carolee

6 comments:

thegothamcloset said...

Hi Carolee,

WOW! Your table!! Its amazing! (lol) So thats where the MAGIC starts. That one is going to be one Bewitching piece. Can't wait to take a peek.

Have a great Sunday evening.

eva

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind message on my blog of my EHAG Carnival Sketch-I finished the painting and it's up-and will go on the eBay auction blog late this eve. Unfortunately I forgot the pst NOT Eastern.

Love to see what you cook up with that neat chest Carolee!

SU

Doreen Frost said...

Good morning Carolee. Thank you for stopping by for a visitand leaving me such a nice comment.

WOW..I can not wait to see this box when it is finished...I'm thinking I may just have to have that!!!! I absolutely love it so far!

The tea sounds wonderful..don't you just love a nice cup of tea..yum!

Have a wonderful day.:)
Doreen

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Looking forward to seeing it!

Christopher A. Klingler said...

AHH the anticpation of things to come! '-)

Have a great week Carolee.

Chris

vintagepaletteart said...

I have but one thing to say...................DO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

OMG, you have to make some of these for Ghoultide Gathering Carolee! And make sure you pack it on top............so it will be easier to pull out of the bug when you stop by to see me on your way!

Hugs! *Lori