Friday, June 19, 2009

Fun with Edward Gorey

One of the most delightful things about belonging to an art group (aside from the interaction with other artists) is the opportunity to participate in "challenges" - a theme on which the group decides, which becomes a sort of jumping off point, encouraging the artists to try something new; to expand our horizons....

This month, the EHAG group challenged it's members to create a piece in tribute to the wonderful, whimsically macabre writer and illustrator, Edward Gorey.

I don't remember when I first saw his work, but I do remember being completely enchanted by it, and purchasing several books in a short period of time. My absolute favorite is "The Gashleycrumb Tinies"....I mean, seriously, what's not to love about an alphabet book that includes "N is for Neville, who died of ennui."?

Here's my own little offering for the EHAG challenge - a candle box which I've painted and inked (the old fashioned way, with a crow-quill dipping pen) as a Goreyesque catnip box - a twist on my flying cat design, and one of those pieces I was sorely tempted to keep here as the perfect place for kitty toys.

Alas, it won't be staying here though, as I'm sure the kitties would rather Mommy bought cat food and paid vet bills, hehe....So look for it on eBay beginning tonight at 9PM. :)

That's about it for tonight - I'm off to watch a documentary on Frida Kahlo, and perhaps finish reading "Twilight".....

Wishing you all a magical weekend! I'll be back on Father's Day (which is also the solstice this year - how fun is that?!)

♥ Carolee

10 comments:

Melissa Valeriote said...

What can I say... your Gorey piece is stunning!!!! Bravo Carolee!!

Zan Asha said...

WOW Carolee! I love it! I am seeing alot of EHAG Gorey art and I must say all of the member seem to have an impressive take on his work!! I love the Gorey bats! :)

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Lovely challenge piece!

Gorey would be proud.

Chris (-:

Linda said...

Gorey Box is wonderful Carolee, Great tribute. Lindax

Girl Interrupted said...

Aww I loved the Gashleycrumb Tinies! His artwork totally charmed me as a child and it still does. And I love the candle box, you're very talented, I'm quite envious :)

Have a great weekend, Carolee

Kathleen Coy said...

This is amazing, Carolee! Wow!!!

Janine said...

I allways loved the fibrant colours you used.
But this one is at least as beautiful as the coulorful ones.
Maybe it is even prettier.

Johanna Parker said...

This piece is fabulous Carolee!.... I love the illustrative style and look forward to more works of art in this "King of Mice does Gorey" look......

~ Johanna

Kristen Beason said...

Love this piece!

M.M.E. said...

Oh, I wish I'd known about this earlier! Gorey is the reason I became an illustrator.