Saturday, August 29, 2009

Signs of Autumn....

As September approaches, and signs of autumn begin to appear here in Lancaster County, I find my work taking on a bit of a cooler feel....


This piece is the latest eBay offering - the last large sign I have in stock which is not set aside for the Ghoultide Gathering. I love the shape of these, and really must paint one for myself one of these days - they're perfect for either wall, door crown or mounted on a post outside, welcoming trick-or-treaters and Halloween party goers. :)

('Cause, you know, ONE of these days I'm sure I'll have time for a Halloween party, hehe!)

So yes.....the faintest hint of autumn is in the air here, and much as I try to enjoy the blessings of each season as I'm IN it, I have to admit a sense of anticipation always hits this time of year.

There are just so many things to love about autumn....

The hills on fire with color

Fresh picked local apples for pies and applesauce

Big comfy sweaters and Timberland boots

Crock pot dinners

Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes (I know, I know, they're taking over the world, and I should go out of my way to support small, independent coffee houses instead, but maaaaaaaan these things are good!)

The smell of woodsmoke coming from nearby farms

Neighborhood children BACK IN SCHOOL (yay!)

Local pumpkin butter

Knitting (which I actually do all year, but I'm more into it as the temps cool down)

And last but not least, the Ghoultide Gathering!


What are some of YOUR favorite things about autumn?

♥ Carolee

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all those things about Autumn too. I have just done a post about Autumn on my blog. This year I am growing my own pumpkin, so pretty excited to think about my pumpkin soup this year! Suzie. :)

William Bezek said...

Autumn is the best, I can feel it creeping in. UM, How many independent coffee houses offer full benefits to part-time employees? Starbucks does. Until our sorry government gets around to helping people get coverage I think Starbucks is doing something right. Yes, they are huge but not a big bad greedy company like many others!

Leah's Art Magic said...

I like all the thngs you mention as well. I also like to walk my dogs early in the morning and enjoy the colors of the leaves and the fog drifting around the mountain tops, knowing I'll come back to my cozy cottage and drink a nice cup of tea.
I have to say I really like those starbucks spice pumpkin drinks too!

Leah

Kathleen Coy said...

Ah, my favorite time of year! I love the crispness in the air, the smell of the leaves and fireplaces, the comfort food, the colors, the clothes... pretty much everything! :-)

Jennifer MacNeill said...

I love the fall colors, not having to mow, carving pumpkins,jeans & a jacket, apple cider and spiced rum (yum), baking, bonfires and definately pumpkin spice lattes or anything pumpkin spiced for that matter!

Sab said...

I like the color of trees in this season, I know it's trite but true !
I love yours paintings ! ^_^

Benedetta said...

Absolutely adorable! It brings out the magic of fall :-)
Hugs
Benedetta

vintagepaletteart said...

Definitely Ghoultide and getting to see you again Carolee! =o) Happy Fall Y'all!