Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Welcome Detour and a Talented Young Artist

Much as I LOVE painting all things *wicked and whimsical*, it's fun to veer from that occasionally - and soooooo good for the creative soul....

So I thought I'd share the most recent project (and the result of Thursday's treasure hunt) - a memory box presented to my niece Sarah at her wedding shower yesterday....

It's difficult to see in the photo, but the lovebirds are actually a canvas painting, set on risers about a half inch above the surface. LOTS of fun gathering the papers, buttons and jewels for this piece, and I'm thinking I just may need to do a Halloween and Christmas version soon.

Sarah loved the piece, which of course made me feel all warm and fuzzy, but the BIG hit of the party was my other niece Amber's gift to her big sister Sarah. With her permission, I'm sharing it here, because I just think its soooooooo amazing.

Here's Sarah and Joe's engagement photo....

(Aren't they just the cutest couple?)

And here's the watercolor portrait Amber painted using the above photo for reference...

Now, here's the amazing part. Amber is just thirteen years old. Not only is she just thirteen, but she chose to work in one of the most difficult mediums there is when it comes to portraits. Talented and fearless - a combination which (assuming she pursues this as a career) I have a feeling will take her far, and someday we'll all say "I knew her when..."

That's about it for today.....Day off are fun, and I wouldn't have missed the shower for the world, but commissions, auctions and show pieces are looming! So off I go....

Back soon with new work. ;)

♥ Carolee

18 comments:

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

what talent...such a gift...i started with portraits myself...this has give me ideas for some chairs...don't ask...i'll let you know if/when i do them...

Susan said...

Wow! Only thirteen, huh? Looks like another Carolee in the making! Great job Amber!!
Also, LOVED the keepsake box you made Carolee! A Halloween and Christmas one sounds great!! You never let us down with new ideas!

Unknown said...

Love your canvas keepsake box, it is beautiful.
And then my jaw dropped when i read that the watercolor painting had been done by Amber and that she is only 13!!!!!!! AMAZING TALENT...Thanks for sharing xxxx

vintagepaletteart said...

Absolutely amazing!! Both pieces! And I'm sure that your niece Amber gets her artistic talent from Aunt Carolee! ;o)

Leah's Art Magic said...

What a beautifully gift Carolee!

A talented young lady! Yes, she is on her way to being a phenomenal artist!

Unknown said...

Lots of fun, I am sure this piece will be treasured for years to come! A great water colour too. Don't think I could have done that at her age (seriously!)

Lori

Cornerstoregoddess said...

Those birds are adorable!

Micki Wilde said...

I love the present you gave them, you are so talented.
It is my friends 10th wedding anniversary soon and i've been trying to come up with present ideas for them, something like that would be perfect!

hmm you've got my brain ticking now lol

Micki x

Rebecca said...

What a thoughtful gift, a handmade "memory box"! And Amber's portrait is simply amazing! She really captured their likenesses! A family full of talent! Becky

Janine said...

Your niece is 13 ?????
What an amazing talent.
Absolutly phantastic.
I like your box aswell. It is so different from your other pieces, but like everything you make it´s lovely.
Have a nice week
Janine

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Thanks for sharing Carolee the lovely gift you made for your niece and the portrait painted by Amber. It seems talent runs in the family!!

Michelle Eaton said...

I love, love, love your keepsake box! So beautiful, and what a great idea for a wedding gift.

Your niece is very talented. I can't believe she is only 13. Artistic talent runs in the family.

Benedetta said...

Wow, the painting looks amazing and your box is just stunning!! What beautiful gifts!
Hugs,
Benedetta

AwtemNymf said...

Very nice keepsake box! Cute birds- just a perfect gift :)

PurpleCrab said...

The picture doesn't do the memory box justice. It's amazing in person! I am so, so lucky to be the proud receiver of such a fantastic, heartfelt gift :) hugs

Giggles said...

Memory box is precious and that painting is amazing!!! Such talent on this blog!! I bet they were thrilled!!

Cheers Giggles

Regina Moore said...

Love, love, love the keepsake box! And, wonderful thirteen year old talent!! Wow!

Enchanted Productions by Joyce Stahl said...

Carolee...your "Keepsake Box" gift is fabulous! I know it will be treasured!

And Amber's talent at thirteen is amazing! I think we have another Carolee in the making! What a talented family!

Joyce